We have some pointers on how to adjust your skin care routine for fabulous fall skin. As the days grow shorter, the temperatures drop, and the air becomes drier, your skin may lose precious moisture. Autumn is a time of transition, and the best autumn skin care routines will correct any summer damage that has occurred and prepare your skin for winter.
Sun, chlorine, and saltwater may have taken a toll on your skin throughout the summer, so fall is a time to exfoliate and moisturize.
Follow these fall skin care tips from Ladies Home Journal and A Woman’s Health for fabulous, healthy skin…
- Ditch the soap. Fragrant soapy scrubs might feel (and smell) wonderful after a day at the beach, but they leave your skin dry. When fall arrives, switch to a soap-free hydrating cleanser. It’s time to put away the gels and bring out the creamy body wash. We’ve got plenty to choose from, from oily to dehydrated skin.
- Exfoliate with an oil-based scrub. The summer sun and chlorine may have left your skin feeling dry and flaky. Start the new season off with a full-body exfoliation session, like our body buff. Another exfoliation option: Microdermabrasion or glycolic acid peels, also available at The Skin & Body Spa. These procedures are more effective and quicker at removing the superficial dead layer of skin.
- Switch from lotion to cream. As the air becomes drier, your skin needs a thicker moisturizer. Creams provide a stronger oily barrier, which means they both reduce water loss from the outer layer of skin and provide hydration to this layer of skin at the same time. One of the beauties of the G.M. Collin line is the gel/gel-cream/cream varieties that clients can easily modify their routine with. Using a gel or a gel-cream for summer? Switch it up for a cream for winter and fall.
- Protect your lips. Start moisturizing now to prevent dry, cracked lips this winter. Use a non-petroleum based lip balm for best results. Jane Iredale’s LipDrink is our pick! If you need to undo cracked lips, try Jane Iredale’s Sugar&Butter lip exfoliator/plumper duo.
- Invest in hand cream. Hands often become dry and cracked during fall and winter. An ounce of prevention really is worth a pound of cure. Start moisturizing your hands now to ensure soft, supple hands all winter long. We love G.M. Collin’s Hand and Nail Repair Cream.
When you take all these tips into consideration, you should be on your way to flake-free and flawless fall skin. 🙂