Oily Skin has been a battle for women and men for many years. As those who suffer from oily skin know, the excess oil on your face can feel thick and greasy. This can increase the size of your pores and make acne more intense, making you feel more self- conscious. Understanding what causes oily skin is the first steps to making your skin look amazing and balanced.
The top reasons your skin becomes oily:
1) Your Genes– a great indicator of genetic oily skin is looking at your family. This usually indicates you and your family have larger sebaceous glands which produce more oil. Genetically, oily skin will make you more likely to have clogged pores and more blemishes and breakouts.
2) Sun Tanning – tanning is so bad for reducing oil. It dries out your skin as a temporary reaction and it actually triggers an injury response that will cause your sebaceous glands to create more oil to protect your skin’s surface.
3) Your Medication – hormonal birth control and hormonal replacement medication will also increase your oil production. Also, medications having a side effect of causing dehydration can also create excess oil production.
4) Women having hormonal changes – including pregnancy, peri & pre-menopause can cause your sebaceous gland to overproduce to the max.
5) Washing too many times per day – it’s true, we all use products to cleanse, moisturize, scrub and exfoliate. But when we cleanse too much or apply too much pressure when scrubbing and exfoliating, it will cause our skin to get more oily.
6) Use of unnecessary skin care tools – For example, scrubbing with a rotating cleansing brush (NOT the Clarisonic. The Clarisonic Brush oscillates making it a safe tool for your skin), strips and buff puffs can irritate the skin and also dry it out.
7) Change of the seasons – as you might have already realized, in the spring and summer humidity increases, which can cause oil production in your skin to increase. Also, in the winter months when the air becomes dry, your skin will get dehydrated. Your skin produces more oil to overcompensate!
8) Stress – A huge culprit for the overproduction of oil due to increase of more androgen hormones.
9) Using the wrong skincare products. – for example, if you are using an oily skin cleanser but actually have combination skin, it can over strip your skin of the oil you need and as a result, your skin will overproduce oil.
- Puractive or Purace Cleanser
- Deep Cleansing Solution
- Puractive Treating Mist
- Puractive Cream
- Puracne Gel
- Derm Renewal Gel
- Acne Complex
We offer complimentary Skin Consultations. Make one today or call 603.888.7900 so we can help you with your oily skin!